Saturday, February 27, 2010

Painted Teapot

The teapot survived the kiln! I was very pleased to see that my teapot survived it's first fire in the kiln. I'm not very experienced in pottery and therefore, always nervous that air bubbles will cause it to crack or explode.

In the past when I have made clay sculptures, I've always painted them with acrylic paint. I decided to use glaze on this because I never glazed before and I thought it appropriate for a teapot. Wow, I didn't realize how unpredictable glaze is. I knew that the true color wasn't evident until after the glaze firing, but didn't realize how hard it would be to get a good even coat. I followed the advice from a more experienced artist... three coats would give me good coverage, but as you can see in the picture, not all colors cover well with just three coats. The blue glaze should have been applied with 4 or 5 coats. (Lesson learned)


  1. Hey Beverly.
    I love your work.

  2. Thank you Tamara... creating this teapot was a learning experience.


Thankyou for visiting my blog...I would love to hear your thoughts!