Monday, October 3, 2011

"Break the Bread"

"Break the Bread"


Beverly Gurganus


16x20 Oil on Canvas




I was frantically finishing last minute details for my student's art show when one of my moms brought me this beautiful loaf of bread (whole wheat to be exact). The bread was not only perfect because of my endeavors of eating clean, but also perfect in form. I had never seen homemade bread look so picture worthy before (not including bakery bread...they are just as beautiful) This loaf wasn't baked in a bakery; it was baked in the home of a precious family...a family of ten children and four are still being home schooled. I've never made homemade bread (unless putting ingredients into a bread machine counts) but I do know the work that is involved in making it (which is why I've never made it).




Admiring this bread, brought me to the conclusion that this bread was worthy of my next still life painting. I had finished the previous still life "Pears & Bottles" and was ready to start another that would also include a colored glass bottle, and a repeat of the striped cloth (which I now have named "The Striped Cloth of Death") I love this striped cloth and have used it now in four still lifes (oil pastel, color pencil, and oil) the process of working on it drives me insane, but so worth it (even if there are errors within the stripes).




Thank you Marci for the beautiful and equally delicious bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for visiting my blog...I would love to hear your thoughts!