Saturday, January 30, 2010

Teapot


I have had this clump of clay sitting in my closet ever since I taught art (3 years ago). I pulled it out and decided to make use of it. After soaking it in water to soften and wedging it (wow, what a job to do) I began to create this teapot. I started it 3 weeks ago using the slab technique and I wanted it to reflect the playing with pattern from my recent paintings. It is now going through the drying process and will soon be fired in a kiln. The firing process is always a "hold your breath and pray" experience for me because I never know what might happen during that stage. I thought I better photograph my pot while it is in tact LOL. I am still undecided as to what colors I will paint/glaze it... I will wait til after the firing to make my decision.

4 comments:

  1. It's exciting to see you extending a theme from painting to 3-dimensions. You are versatile! I am also impressed that you take a theme and explore it so many ways in a series. I always admire commitment and persistence. Thanks for looking at my work too, it's good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my work, as well. I am still fairly new in the Fine Art world and finding who I am as an artist. I do enjoy various mediums, but I believe my love is in oil...portriats. I think it is important to have a specialized area, but maintain practice in all mediums. I look forward to following your blog and seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the teapot. It's much more contemporary than I imagined. I hope it does well during the firing stage. I can't wait to see the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ria...hope to fire it in a week or so. I need to make sure it is completely dry. What do you think...glaze or Acrylic paint it?

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting my blog...I would love to hear your thoughts!